FINGAL NORTH DUBLIN BEEKEEPERS ASSOCIATION|
SEASONAL NOTE No.2 Winter (November/December/January)
Theme: Inspect/Repair /Plan
It is assumed that the preparation for winter detailed in Seasonal Note No. 1 has been undertaken.
DO NOT DISTURB COLONIES
- Bees in winter cluster (20/25º)
- Stores need to be conserved
N.B. It has been estimated that during the winter period the energy usage of the average colony is equivalent to a 15- watt bulb operating continuously.
VISIT APIARY REGULARLY
Always after a storm.
EXAMINE AND REPAIR EQUIPMENT
- This needs to be done in good time;
don't wait until the
equipment is required next season to discover that it needs repair.
PLAN FOR NEXT SEASON
- Identify equipment / supplies needs
e.g. Hive stands are an important part of good beekeeping.
- Prepare programme for next season
- Catch up on beekeeping literature / attend refresher course