FINGAL NORTH DUBLIN BEEKEEPERS ASSOCIATION
SEASONAL NOTE No.3 Spring (February / March / April)
CONTINUE HIVE OBSERVATION (At hive entrance)
- Deformed wings," varroa ?
- Crawlers," acarine ?
- Soiling," nosema ?
Weigh / heft hives
Natural mite drop.
Calculate daily rate (from total drop over a week)
Reduce entrance block in early spring
- Remove mouse guard
- Remove insert in OMF late spring (if used)
INITIAL HIVE OPENING (Mid spring- weather permitting)
- Manipulation - minimum duration
- Enter detail in hive records (Sample record sheet in pdf format)
INTRODUCE NEW QUEENS
- From over-wintered nucs
FIND / CLIP & MARK QUEENS
COMMENCE REGULAR INSPECTIONS
- Check colony for space / stores
Check spread and build-up of eggs and brood
Check for disease
REPLACE OLD COMB
- 2 or 3 empty frame outside brood nest
ADD SUPERS AS REQUIRED